Saturday, June 30, 2012

Space 2 (or Bruce's space saving discoveries)

(I will actually write about New York rather than my apartment eventually!)

So if John, or Jaarn as he pronounces it (which curiously is the Nordic sound of the same name I guess), was to come and see my pad, his reaction would probably be: "but it looks the same as mine before I put anything in it!"
And my reaction would be "yes - that is what I loved about the place when I first saw it, the shellness of it, the empty space."
So my whole endeavor has been to make it livable, which means adding objects, without spoiling it!
There is a shop next to work called 'The Container Store'. Maybe they have them in London, probably do, or similar. But it is hard not to get enamored with the sets of boxes, racks, hooks, velcro wonders, hangers, frames, buckets, and shelves. One can make a whole hobby out of containing things.
So here is my handy list of discoveries from trying, stroking my chin and looking and also listening to New Yorkers:

Bed - just have a mattress on the floor.
It saves space - vertically, which may seem irrelevant but the body/eyes feel the difference when that unused space is empty, its more relaxing. But also horizontally, the frame does take up space.
And extra fabulously, if you make your apartment a no shoes zone, then this kind of bed dramatically expands the walkable area of your apartment. I walk across my bed to get to my shelving upon which are sets of nice looking bamboo boxes full of all manner of necessary things.

Fridge - use it to store anything.
So I like the huge fridge as it makes me feel I'm abroad. But I can't fill it. It's a waste really. Although I've taken to putting all kinds of things in it:
Cereal, oils, condiments, flour and grains -> in the fridge.
Rolling pin, empty plastic containers and cheese grater -> in the freezer compartment.

Table - choose the right one.
Get one with a central pedastal rather than legs, then you have more space at your disposal. At dinner parties more can fit comfortably around it and there is less framing of space going on - restrictions - it feels more spacey.
I managed to get a nice old oak one with central support secondhand.
Its the same with chair-side drink table.

Teeny shower room (ie sink, shower and w.c in unfeasible space)
The main thing I found is to keep clutter out the way. Put unused things out of sight or throw them out. Buy a transparent shower curtain to keep the space open.
And to cheer up what can otherwise be quite a grim dark room, put up a shelf at shoulder height above the w.c and put a pophos or peace lily (shade tolerant) on the shelf to cheer the room up a bit.
Hang towel on shower curtain rail of course.

Walk-in Closet - maximize use
From my realty broker - put up 2 clothing rails: one at normal shoulder height and another up above.

Kitchen area - optimize!
I have a dish drainer attached to the wall above the sink/surface now. It acts as drainer and storage. And as there is only 2 foot square kitchen surface (imagine it!) and NO draining board, this is vital. And it frees up kitchen cupboards for ingredients (that are not in the fridge!)

Plants - hang from ceiling

Shelving - vital
I have a low shelf next to my bed(mattress) for bedtime things. And under it are 2 metal gauze containers (from The Container Store of course) with smalls in.
And extra gloriously: what the heck to do with the enormous costly suitcase that is ugly and won't be used til I move on? And what to do with shoes?
London buddy Suse P had an inspiring shoe solution with a tall thin vertical hubby-hole unit, custom made for shoes. It takes up little space and looks attractive.
Then Toronto Helen suggested having a wide shelf with a curtain hanging from it in the kitchenish room. So behind the drape goes the cheap and less attractive shoe rack (the only sawdust and glue thing I have put in the place I am proud to say) and the suitcase.
And happily on that shelf goes the toaster. A place for everything. I even managed to get some really cool fabric for the drape.

And most of all - space is inviting if clutter is kept out - vigilance!















No comments:

Post a Comment