Saturday, June 30, 2012

Space 1

Went for a health screening at work last week. Flying colours! Low cholesterol, correct blood sugar levels, fat, weight, low blood pressure - she told me to get out of bed slowly and its true I do stumble a bit in the mornings,
Not too long before that I had an ayurvedic checkup in a welcome random ayurveda center on the upper west side. I attempted not to fall in love with the young Indian ayurvedic doctor, who was reading her bhagavad gita when I went in, as she gently but tightly closed her exotic eyelids so that she concentrate on feeling my pulse with her right hand.
Result? I have an exhausted nervous system due to overstimulation, I am impatient and likely to get skin problems and my digestion is sluggish. I smiled at the report as I have heard it all before from folk in UK, my Dad being one of them. Plus I more or less knew these things from just being me.
Amongst many remedial measures, she told me to eat for lunch a soup of rice and lentils and zucchini which I could cook in a crock, a slow-cooker in the morning.
So this weekend I went on to craigslist.com to hunt for a crock. And whaddyaknow, there is a guy called John on the upper east side (ie same side as me) selling his black oval crock for $15.
I mailed asking to come and buy it. He replied asking what sort of time. I replied stating my addressish and when I would leave. He replied with his full address. And whaddayknow again, it is the John who lives in the apartment next to me. We sleep feet away from each other. He watches tv while I watch my laptop.
So the deal was done. But the cool thing is that I got to see another treatment of exactly the same shaped apartment; somebody else's take on the space. So interesting!
I recoiled!
So John has lots of big dominating bulky, cloggy or at least light cutting objects in his place:
Big floppy curtains
Normal double bed with lots of duvets, pillows etc.
Big wardrobe
Big sofa
Rug
Huge black plasma tv oppoite sofa
Weight training machine thingummy
Other cabinety things

And generally very little walkable area from which he produced his crock.
And no space for a table.

This is the exact opposite to my philosophy, as you can probably tell, when trying to make the most of small space anyway. I could dig watching a movie on his tv though.

No comments:

Post a Comment