Sunday, August 19, 2012

Male company!

Some more great characters last night in the city.

I met with a bunch of guys to go out to bars to people-watch and talk to the ladies on saturday night. The lady stuff was very fun - I met the perfect bunch of guys for enjoying it with.
They included a young French guy who is trying his luck as a magician in NYC - his card tricks were mind-blowing but he preferred not resort to those for his flirting - I guess as it his day job he's had enough. And a long dread-locked Carribean guy called Thol whose approaches were hilariously relaxed and with whom great exchanges were had about music. He seemed pleased that a Brit knew as much as I did about that, and gave a very nice compliment having established he liked British women and wanted to visit:
"Well man, you know having met you I'm gonna put another extra dollar in my trip to UK jar"
And Al, a guy who spoke like Al Pacino. Turns out that Al works in NYC for the UN and had a 2 year clandestine relationship with somebody much younger at work - and which was very much disapproved of for various reasons when it got out (the policy is "don't shit where you sit - don't screw the crew!"). But you have to imagine him recounting the situation in his accent. He was explaining how he dealt with all the gossip once it got out. Seemed like he knew how to handle the politics and information flow of it by starving it out when people asked him. He basically gave nothing away:
"Oh really, is that so? We lived together for 2 years? And no one knew? How many kids did we have? Well l must be fucken Houdini..."

We're all a bit backward at venturing out and talking to beautiful women so to help ourselves out we put it that it was all about rejection - let's see how many we can get, rejections that is. I must say I found it very funny talking to women having removed the need to succeed. I found myself bursting into laughter half way through the interaction which seemed to come across as happiness. Plus it was a noisy bar which covers, and generates, a multitude of sins. I got lots of tips on where to go later on in the night. Which isn't my thing so I went off home to bed, this time anyway.

I reflected on how city bars are probably very similar the world over now - same drinks, same music, same lighting, same crowd. 

No comments:

Post a Comment