Monday, May 14, 2012

Evrybaardy dantz!

Just wanted to clear up the title. I have long been amused by the ways that pop stars need to pronounce words differently in singing to speaking, not because of the rythm or melody dictate but because the words sound better.
For instance 'crazy' in a rock song has to be either 'crazair' or 'crayzeee' or 'crayzay' many times. There are quite a few examples. And 'laydair' is just a pop pronunciation of 'lady'.
So I chose a song about my situation: I left London (a woman) - or could be Shania, my bass - for another lady (New York) - as is told in the hit song by chart-topping quirky Paloma Faith.
Unfortunately on listening even more carefully, though I already loved that song, it is completely obvious that Paloma sings and would sing 'laydeee' not 'laydair'. Suits her sort of modern-vintage voice style better. Laydair is a bit 80s.
A favourite pronunciation of mine is 80s innovator Annie Lenox's powerful sing of 'ee-mow-shun' in 'Here comes the rain again'.

1 comment: